The Reference Center in Doe Library
The Reference Center is a unified research space comprised of the three great rooms in Doe Library: The North Reading Room, Reference Hall, and Heyns Reading Room, along with the Rosberg Reading Room.
The Reference Center is a focal point for research and reference services in Doe Library. Librarians serving as liaisons to academic departments and programs, as well as other library staff, provide assistance and instruction with both print and electronic resources. The emphasis of its collections and services is on the humanities, social sciences, area studies, and government information. The 20,000 volume reference collection is shelved in the North Reading Room and Reference Hall. Microfiche reference materials are located in Newspapers and Microforms, 40 Doe Library, while the CD-ROM and DVD reference materials are made available upon request. The Current Periodicals collection is located in the Heyns Reading Room and Rosberg Reading Room. This collection contains approximately 4500 of the latest issues for current journal subscriptions.
Reference staff provide guidance and recommend search strategies for novice and advanced researchers in the humanities and social sciences. We help you in tracking down an obscure citation, starting research on a new topic, or answering any question you may have navigating the world of information—in person, by phone [510 642-6657], by email or using chat.
The Research Advisory Service offers one-on-one personalized guidance for UC Berkeley undergraduates writing term papers or engaged in research projects for their humanities, social sciences, and international and area studies classes. These sessions are held in the Evelyn Chambers Research Consultation Room.
The Reference Center includes:
- PCs for library research (full Internet access for current UCB students, faculty and staff only)
- Airbears wireless connectivity (for current UCB students, faculty and staff only)
- Study tables with electrical outlets. North Reading Room study tables may require outlet adapters.
- Networked printing (printer located at east end of the Reference Hall, requires credit on Cal1Card, or a guest card)
- Multifunction scan/print/copy machines are located in the Reference Hall and Heyns Reading Rooms, requires credit on Cal1Card, or a guest card
The Reference Center is open to UC students, faculty and staff, as well as to the general public.