The Reference Center in Doe Library
The Reference Center is a unified research space comprised of the three great rooms in Doe Library: The North Reading Room, Reference Hall, and Heyns Reading Room, along with the Rosberg Reading Room.
The Reference Center is a focal point for research and reference services in Doe Library. Librarians serving as liaisons to academic departments and programs, as well as other library staff, provide assistance and instruction with both print and electronic resources. The emphasis of its collections and services is on the humanities, social sciences, area studies, and government information. The reference collections are shelved in the North Reading Room and Reference Hall, including the 20,500 volume humanities and social science reference collection and the 10,500 volume government documents reference collection. Microfiche reference materials are also in the North Reading Room, while the CD-ROM and DVD reference materials are made available upon request. The Current Periodicals collection is located in the Heyns Reading Room and Rosberg Reading Room. This collection contains approximately 4500 of the latest issues for current journal subscriptions.
Reference staff provide individualized assistance in finding a specific piece of information, or locating specific items or materials on a topic in person, by phone, and by email. Reference staff provide guidance and recommend strategies for navigating the library web, online catalogs, electronic resources and print collections and the Internet.
The Research Advisory Service offers one-on-one personalized guidance for UC Berkeley undergraduates writing term papers or engaged in research projects for their humanities, social sciences, and international and area studies classes. These sessions are held in the Evelyn Chambers Research Consultation Room.
The Reference Center includes:
- Computer workstations for library research (full Internet access for current UCB students, faculty and staff only)
- Airbears wireless connectivity (for current UCB students, faculty and staff only)
- Study tables with electrical outlets. North Reading Room study tables may require outlet adapters.
- Networked printing service (printer located at east end of the Reference Hall, requires copy card)
- Copy machines are located in the Reference Hall and Heyns Reading Rooms. All machines use Cal1 cards.
The Reference Center is open to UC students, faculty and staff, as well as to the general public.