To better understand California legislative organization and process consult the following titles.
- 1. California Legislative Information Guide. L. Hellebust.
- JK8761H4 1989 GREF
- Provides basic information about legislative organization and process, legislative documents, legislators, lobbying, etc.
- 2. California Legislature (Handbook).
- JK8771B4 GREF (latest)
- Official publication of the California Legislature containing biographies, committee memberships, rules, etc. Published biennially.
- 3. California Political Almanac.
- JK8768C343 Doe Reference (latest)
- Contains biographies, photos, voting records, and district descriptions for the State Legislature and Congress. Also includes chapters on the bureaucracy, lobbyists, media, and local government.
- 4. California's Legislature.
- JK8766A28 GREF (latest)
- Official description of legislative procedure, organization, staff agencies and information sources.
- 5. Politics and Government in California. B. Hyink. 13th ed.
- JK8716H95 1996 Main
- General text on the development of California politics and government with chapters on elections; executive , legislative, and judicial branches; and economic, social, and political affairs.
Statutory law in California consists of the Constitution plus acts passed by the California Legislature. Statutes are laws enacted by the Legislature and signed into law by the Governor. The following terms refer to statutory law: acts, statutes, codes, and bills. If you want the text of a law, go to the Statutes.
- 6. The Statutes of California and Amendments to the Codes.... 1849/50-
- KA35A12 GREF
- Chronological arrangement of laws enacted by the California legislature. Includes full text of statutes and resolutions subarranged by chapter number. The last volume of each session contains a subject index and a table of affected laws. Since 1967 the Summary Digest is included.
- 7. California. Chapters...regular session.
- KFC25.A56 GREF current years only; replaced in bound form by Statutes (#6).
- 8. Deering's California Codes, Annotated.
- KFC30.5D4 A-Z GREF
- Commercially produced collection of permanent California laws arranged by subject. Includes annotations, legislative histories, applicable court decisions, popular names table, etc. Each title has an index in the last volume and there is a General Index to the entire set. Updated by pocket parts and revised volumes. For recent laws, check the Advanced Legislative Service to Deering's... KFC30.5D4A38 GREF Selected official codes (eg. vehicle, education, penal, etc.) are available in GREF. Check GLADIS or MELVYL for call numbers.
- 9. Larmac Consolidated Index to the Constitution and Laws of California.
- KA70L36 Govt/Stat Doe Reference (latest)
- Annual publication containing an alphabetical index to the California constitution, all the codes, the general laws and rules of the California Supreme Court.
- 10. California Legislature. California Bills.
- Current session: paper copies arranged by bill number available in Period/News/Micro Room, 150 Doe; also available on the www at: http://www.sen.ca.gov/
- Previous sessions:
- 1967/68-1974, 1979/80-: microfiche 1504 GREF
- 1975-1978: microfilm 2242J for Assembly
- 1975-78: microfilm 2243J for Senate
- Assembly bills: -1970 (incomplete): J87C2exa Main
- Senate bills: 1903-1970 (incomplete): J87C2ex Main
- NOTE: There is no complete set of California legislative bills on campus. Stanford, UCD Law, and SFPL have complete microfilm holdings.
- California Bill Information (full-text): 1993/94 - current
- J87C2ec.A34 for Assembly
- J87C2eb.A34 for Senate
- Latest 10 years in GREF
- Arranged by bill number and listing action taken on all measures on file for the year. Issued daily and cumulated weekly and then semi-annually and annually. Previous to 1973 actions were reported in the Final Calendar of Legislative Business 1899-1972 (J87C2e Main). The latter includes a Legislative Index in the back which provides subject access to bills.
- 12. California. Legislature. Assembly or Senate. Journal. 1849/50-
- J87C2b Main for Senate
- J87C2c Main for Assembly
- Current unbound issues in GREF.
- Each journal is issued daily and cumulated annually. They include an account of proceedings (however, not verbatim or summary transcripts of debates), list of measures taken up, texts of amendments to bills, committee reports, etc. Senate committee votes are recorded and published in the Senate Journal, but the Assembly reports its committee and other votes in a separate appendix to the Assembly Journal. An Alphabetical Index provides access by subject and legislative member name. A Bill Action Index provides access by bill number.
- 13. California. Legislature. Legislative Index... 1973/74-
- J87C2e.A35 GREF (latest 10 years)
- Published at various intervals during a legislative session, it lists by subject all bills introduced in the Legislature. Part 2 contains a table showing which sections of the constitution and statutes are affected by the measures introduced.
- 14. California. Legislature. Summary Digest. 1935-
- KA80.A25 GREF (latest 10 years)
- Includes a short summary of each law enacted, and of each constitutional amendment, concurrent or joint resolution adopted by the Legislature during the year. It is arranged by chapter number and includes cross-reference tables, a detailed subject index and a statutory record. Published also since 1967 as part of Statutes of California (#6).
- 15. California. Legislature. Senate. Digest of significant legislation covering the period of... 1985-
- KFC7.C33 GREF (latest)
- Major Assembly and Senate bills are arranged by broad subject categories (health, education, etc.). Each entry provides name of the author, a brief summary, and the disposition of the bill at the end of the session. An index by bill number is included.
11. California Legislature. Assembly or Senate. Final History. 1973-
HEARINGS AND REPORTS
These publications are the result of committee action on proposed laws. The hearings contain the testimony and sources used by the committees to develop recommendations. The reports usually contain the recommendations and explain the intent of the law. Many hearings, especially bill hearing sessions, are not published. To find what hearings and reports are available, check the lists below, then search them by title in GLADIS or MELVYL. Selected reports through 1970 were published in the appendices of the Assembly and Senate Journals. (Appendices 1855-1944 are located in J87C2p Main)
- 16. California State Publications. 1945-
- J86C2.A2 GREF
- Listing of official state publications issued by executive agencies, the Legislature, and the Judiciary. Hearings begin with call number L500. Published monthly and cumulated each year. Title and subject index. Microfiche cumulation: 1982-89, 1990-93 (reference microfiche 7150)
- 17. Assembly Publications Catalog. 1992-
- JK8731.A424 GREF
- Lists reports and hearings of the State Assembly committees, caucuses, task forces and selected State commissions.
- 18. Joint Publications Catalog. 1985-1989
- JK8731.A423 GREF
- Catalog lists the reports and hearing transcripts of the Assembly, Senate, and Joint Committees that are for sale. Arranged by committee name.
- 19. Hearings and Reports of the Committees of the California Legislature. (1961-84)
- JK8778.A3 GREF
- Lists published hearings and reports alphabetically by committee.
- 20. California Interim Legislative Committees and Reports. (1937-76)
- JK8771.A35 GREF
- Lists published reports by committee with a subject index.
- 21. California Legislative Committee Reports.
- JK8771.L298 GREF
- A compilation of lists that includes List of special committees and commissions by legislative session, 1850-1936 by C. Larsen.
- 22. Records of the California Legislature. comp. by D. Snyder. (Calif. State Archives Inventory No. 2). 1971.
- CD3116.L4.S6 GREF
- Includes committee hearing transcripts and other committee records on file in the State Archives, the Government Publications Section of the California State Library, and the Assembly Office of Research.
California administrative rules and regulations are made by various state agencies to implement laws enacted by the state legislature.
- 23. California Code of Regulations.
- For previous editions see California Code of Regulations. (UMI) 1988-90, 1992 (microfiche 3458) and Register (microfiche 3459); California Administrative Code (1979-1987) (microfiche 3458) and Register (1979-1987) (microfiche 3459). For a printed index to the Code, check the Comprehensive Index (KFC35 1945 A22 GREF) published annually with pocket updates.
- 24. California Regulatory Notice Register.
- KFC35 1945 A22 GREF Current year only.
- Weekly containing notices of proposed regulatory actions by state regulatory agencies to adopt, amend, or repeal regulations contained in the California Code of Regulations.
For current news and analysis about state government and politics check:
- 25. California Journal. 1970-
- JK8701C22 GREF
- Monthly periodical covering California politics and government. Supplements include California Journal Roster and Government Guide issued annually (Feb. issue), and analyses of candidates and propositions, issued prior to each primary and general election.
- 26. StateNet Capitol Report-California. 1996-
- Looseleaf binder shelved next to California Journal (see #25)
- Issued in daily and weekly editions.The daily includes a calendar of events listing hearings, press conferences, speeches,etc. as well as recent executive orders, executive and legislative appointments, regulations, and lobbyist/PAC registrations. The weekly provides news on California politics and government.
- 27. CJ Weekly. 1993-1995
- JK8701 C221 GREF
- Weekly newsletter updating California Journal including news about appointments, reports, roll call of votes, agency actions as well as short articles and biographical profiles related to California politics and government.
- 28. Issue Summary. California Research Bureau. 1991-
- JK8719I87 GREF
- Public policy reports covering California social, economic, environmental, and political issues of interest to the State Legislature.
- 29. Los Angeles Times.
- Indexed on News (1982 to present), a database available on MELVYL.
- Also searchable full-text on CD-ROM at IGS Library.
- Paper/microfilm located in Period/News/Micro, 150 Doe.
- 30. Sacramento Bee.
- Indexed on NewsBank (print or CD-ROM network).
- Articles available on microfiche in cabinet near print index in Moffitt.
- Paper/microfilm located in Period/News/Micro, 150 Doe.
- 31. California Home Page (http://www.ca.gov).
- State of California web page provides information on state history, culture, economy, and natural resources as well as on the state legislature, agencies and departments. The Senate Web page (http://www.sen.ca.gov/) (#10) contains full bill text,analyses, history, status and vote information. Full text versions of California Codes, Statutes and State Constitution are also included. For further explanation of files, check A Guide for Accessing California Legislative Information over the Internet (JK8761G85 1994 GREF Tech. Doc.).