BRII: Advancing the Impact of UC Berkeley Research
The Berkeley Research Impact Initiative (BRII) provides funding to Berkeley authors (faculty members, post-docs, graduate students, researchers) and publishers (Centers, Organized Research Units, and Departments) to make their publications free to all readers immediately upon publication.
For Berkeley authors:
- Open access articles (i.e., free, immediate access, and unrestricted non-commercial reuse): up to $3000 of cost. (See: Selective List of Open Access Fees).
- Hybrid journal articles (a hybrid journal is a traditional subscription-based journal that offers authors an option to pay an additional fee to make the article available to the public): up to $1500 cost.
- January 2014. Due to the popularity of the BRII program, we are only able to fund one application per calendar year.
For Berkeley publishers:
- For books, there is a $3000 limit on BRII funding per calendar year for any publisher/department.
- For open access journal publishers, there is a $4000 limit in BRII funding per calendar year.