Search an article database to find citations (title, author, title of journal, date, page numbers) for articles on a particular topic. The Library gives you access to over 200 article databases covering different disciplines.
1. Think about which academic disciplines might write about your topic. Examples: literature, film, anthropology, history...
2. Find the appropriate article database by subject (academic discipline or department). Look for "Recommended" databases.
Library home > Articles > Article Databases by Subject
Searching Article Databases
Examples of searches in various article databases:
keywords = searches most important parts of the record
* = truncation symbol or wildcard; child* = child, childs, children, childish, childhood
Library home > Articles > Article Databases By Subject > History > America: History and Life
asian american* (select a field - optional)
activis* (select a field - optional)
historical period from: 1960 1975
Library home > Articles > Article Databases By Subject > Ethnic Studies > Chicano Database
click on see more details for locating this item to find UC e-links icon (see below) to locate text of items
Library home > Articles > Article Databases By Subject > Ethnic Studies >Black Studies Center
sncc and women (keywords)
- click on the title to see full record (including abstracts and descriptors)
- to limit by publication type (peer-reviewed journals, conferences, books, etc.) click on the appropriate tab or link
- if necessary,look for other limits (latest update, journal articles only, english only) and more advanced searches
- select records to save to your personalized list; lists may be e-mailed, downloaded, printed
UC-eLinks - Find Article Text/Location
Once you've searched a database to find articles, you may need to use to link to a PDF or html file if the full text is not immediately available. Each database is a bit different, but a good rule of thumb is this: when you see the Uc-eLinks icon click on it to view your article access options, which can range from full text to a call number to an Interlibrary Loan request:
For more information, here's a tutorial on using UC-eLinks.
Daily Cal Indexes
The index to the Daily Cal has changed format many times. Here’s a summary of where each chunk can be found.
1874 - 1929 is indexed in a card file in Bancroft’s University Archive. Easier to get to is the microfilm copy of the card file, which is in Newspaper/Micro Room under call no.: MICROFILM 20031 (3 reels).
1930 - June 1991 is indexed in card file located in Newspaper/Micro Room.
July 1991 - June 1994 is indexed in a printed index, which can be found in both: Doe Reference Periodical Indexes [AJ21.D333] and in the Newspaper Microform Room [AJ21.D29 NEWS\] And in the Online Archive of California website http://oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/tf4f59n7s5
September 1997 - current is in Lexis/Nexis (use Easy Search, enter Daily Californian in the By Source Title box
June 1999 - current is indexed and searchable at http://www.dailycal.org/search_advanced.php.