Search an article database to find citations (title, author, title of journal, date, page numbers) for articles on a particular topic. The Library gives you access to over 200 article databases covering different disciplines.
1. Think about which academic disciplines might write about your topic. Examples: literature, film, anthropology, history...
2. Find the appropriate article database by subject (academic discipline or department). Look for "Recommended" databases.
Library home > Articles > Article Databases by Subject
Search Article Databases
1. han punish*
look at a few items, look for official subject headings (in BAS they tend to be very broad)
subject: china politics and government law
(on the left-look at "facets"); click on history - by period - antiquity to Ming
2. gender tang china history
click on subject: china anthropology and sociology women
check off "search within" (the results): tang
fashion* or dress or costume* or clothing
Library home > Articles > General Article Databases > JSTOR
REMEMBER: JSTOR doesn't include articles from the last 3-5 years!!!
1. confucius (full text)
law or legal (full text)
add a field
china (full text)
results are rather broad and the terms can be pages away from one another. Would you like to be able to specify that the terms appear within a few words of one another?confucius (full text)
(near 25) law (full text)
(near 25) china (full text)
note: you can't use more than one term per row when you use "near 25" so you can't do "near25" law or legal...sorry!
another search example:
Finding Book Reviews
Please note that you will have to distinguish between book reviews BY Professor Nylan and book reviews of books written by Professor Nylan
Book Review Digest Plus
Library home > Articles > Book and Film Review Databases > Book Review Digest Plus
nylan, michael (subject)
if you search Prof. Nylan as an author you'll find book reviews written by her. If you search her as a subject you'll find book reviews about her books
- click on the title to see full record (including abstracts and descriptors)
- to limit by publication type (peer-reviewed journals, conferences, books, etc.) click on the appropriate tab or link
- if necessary,look for other limits (latest update, journal articles only, english only) and more advanced searches
- select records to save to your personalized list; lists may be e-mailed, downloaded, printed
UC-eLinks - Find Article Text/Location
Once you've searched a database to find articles, you may need to use to link to a PDF or html file if the full text is not immediately available. Each database is a bit different, but a good rule of thumb is this: when you see the Uc-eLinks icon click on it to view your article access options, which can range from full text to a call number to an Interlibrary Loan request:
For more information, here's a tutorial on using UC-eLinks.