Library catalog history
Photo of card catalog from Kent Kanouse on Flickr.
Photo of card catalog index card by dfulmer on Flickr.
Searching Library Catalogs
Use OskiCat to locate materials on the shelves of the UC Berkeley libraries and also to:
Use Melvyl to locate materials at other campuses in the UC system, or worldwide, and also to
- request materials from another library if we don't own it
- find articles from some article databases
- easily format a citation for copying into a bibliography Melvyl will also show you the location and availablity of items that we own.
- Search for artist/author using the author search: Heti, Sheila
- Search for topics using a keyword search: ideology and literature
- Use an asterisk as a wildcard: psycho* finds psychology, psychopath, psychosis...
- Limit results by language (Modify search)
Getting Material from NRLF
A large part of the library's collection is stored off campus at the Northern Regional Library Facility [NRLF].
Use the REQUEST button in OskiCat to borrow material at the NRLF. To receive electronic or paper copies of book chapters or journal articles, submit an online request via the "Request an article from NRLF (photocopy or web delivery)" link that appears in eligible titles in OskiCat.
Log in to Request with your Calnet ID and fill out the screens. Choose the volume you want, for periodicals: