Off-campus access to library resources
You can access UCB Library resources from off campus or via your laptop or other mobile device using one of two simple methods:
After you make a one-time change in your web browser settings, the proxy server will ask you to log in with a CalNet ID or Library PIN when you click on the link to a licensed resource. See the setup instructions, FAQ, and Troubleshooting pages to configure your browser.
Getting Material from NRLF
A large part of the library's collection is stored off campus in an environmentally secure building called the Northern Regional Library Facility [NRLF].
Submit online requests via the REQUEST button in OskiCat to borrow material shelved at NRLF. To receive electronic or paper copies of book chapters or journal articles, submit an online request via the "Request an article from NRLF (photocopy or web delivery)" link that appears in eligible titles in OskiCat. Staff at public service desks of any campus library can assist you with further questions.
EXCEPTION: Materials belonging to Bancroft Library MUST be requested via their online form
Log in to Request with your Calnet ID and fill out the screens. Choose the volume you want, for periodicals:
Campus Library Map
Click on the image below to see a larger interactive version of the campus library map.
Doe, Main Stacks, Moffitt Library floorplans
Printing and Scanning in the Libraries
All libraries on campus are equipped with "bookscan stations," which allow you to scan documents and save them to a USB drive, OR to scan documents and then send them to a printer. In order to scan documents, you must have the following:
- A Cal 1 Card, with money loaded onto the debit account (go here to make a deposit to your Cal 1 Card account). This is not the same as meal plan points! Your Cal 1 Card debit account is a separate fund on your card.
- A USB drive (you cannot email a scanned document from a bookscan station; you must save your document to a USB drive)
- Scanning and saving to a USB drive is 5 cents a page for students.
- Scanning documents and sending them to the printer is 10 cents a page for students. Color printing is 60 cents a page.
In order to print from any of the public computers in the libraries, you must have the following:
- A Cal 1 Card, with money loaded onto the debit account (see above)
- A document that's on the Web or attached to your email (the public computers in the libraries will not open files from a USB or other drive)
- Printing is 10 cents a page for students (black and white), color printing is 60 cents a page.
Have more questions? There's more info here.
Requesting Materials from Other Libraries
If UCB does not own the item you need, we will borrow it for you from another library, if possible. We need a specific citation (example, for books - title, author, date of publication, publisher; for articles, title, author, journal/publication title, date, page numbers).
If you are in MELVYL and find the record for an item UCB doesn't own, click on the "Request" button to initiate the request.
If the item isn't owned by another UC, pull down the "Libraries to search" menu in MELVYL to "Libraries Worldwide" and re-try the search. If you find the item, click on the "Request" button to initiate the request.