2. Read an introduction to the campus libraries for graduate students.
3. Set up your computer for off campus access to library databases.
4. Need a map of the campus libraries?
5. Each library has its own hours. Click on the calendar for each library to view a month at a time.
6. Floor plans for Doe, Moffitt and Main Stacks.
Brainstorming Academic Disciplines
Topic: Image of African American women in advertising
potentially relevant disciplines:
African American Studies
Gender and Women's Studies
Keywords - Brainstorming
Developing appropriate keywords/search terms is an essential part of research. First, break your topic into components. Develop a list of synonyms and alternative terminology for each component. Think about broader and narrower concepts and word variants. What words can you exclude?
Topic: Image of African American Women in Advertising
image(s) or stereotyp(es)(ing) or depict(ion) or portray(al)...
african american(s) or black(s) or minorit(y)(ies)
women or gender
advertis(e)(ing) or media
Remember to be creative with your terminology! More examples:
people of color and environmental activism*
environmental justice and hazardous waste*
This guide has been archived
Please note: this course guide was created during a previous semester, and is no longer being actively maintained. For a list of current course guides, please see http://lib.berkeley.edu/alacarte/course-guides.