Search an article database to find citations (title, author, title of journal, date, page numbers) for articles on a particular topic. The Library gives you access to over 200 article databases covering different disciplines.
1. Think about which academic disciplines might write about your topic. Examples: literature, film, anthropology, history...
2. Find the appropriate article database by subject (academic discipline or department). Look for "Recommended" databases.
Library home > Articles > Article Databases by Subject
Sample Searches - Article Databases
Search for History Articles
Library home > Articles > Article Databases, Subjects A - Z > H > History > America: History and Life
covers US & Canada. Want to search this at the same time as Historical Abstracts?:
From the search screen select Choose Databases
leave America: History and Life checked; scroll down to select Historical Abstracts
click on OK
1. rubber (select a field - optional)
global* (select a field - optional)
* = truncation symbol/wildcard: global* = global, globalization, etc.
2. wine (subject terms)
trade or export* (select a field optional)
3. wheat trade
wheat economic aspects
- click on the title to see full record (including abstracts and descriptors)
- to limit by publication type (peer-reviewed journals, conferences, books, etc.) click on the appropriate tab or link
- if necessary,look for other limits (latest update, journal articles only, english only) and more advanced searches
- select records to save to your personalized list; lists may be e-mailed, downloaded, printed
UC-eLinks - Find Article Text/Location
Once you've searched a database to find articles, you may need to use to link to a PDF or html file if the full text is not immediately available. Each database is a bit different, but a good rule of thumb is this: when you see the Uc-eLinks icon click on it to view your article access options, which can range from full text to a call number to an Interlibrary Loan request:
For more information, here's a tutorial on using UC-eLinks.
Examples of other Useful Databases
History of Science, Technology, and Medicine
Indexes books, journals, proceedings, and dissertations worldwide about research in the history of science, medicine, technology, and related fields. Subjects covered include agriculture, biology, construction, chemistry, energy, engineering, geology, linguistics, mathematics, medicine, music, philosophy, physics, social sciences, town planning, transport engineering, and zoology.
Indexes books, journal articles, audiovisual materials, state agricultural and USDA publications. Subjects include agriculture, agricultural economics, animal science, entomology, horticulture, nutrition, plant diseases, and soil science.
The most comprehensive index to scholarly journal articles in economics. It also lists books and dissertations, and indexes articles within 'collective works' (books consisting of collections of essays or individual papers). Most citations include a searchable abstract.
Business Source Complete
Provides full-text for more than 7,400 scholarly business journals and other sources, including nearly 1,100 peer-reviewed business publications. Offers information in nearly every area of business including management, economics, finance, accounting, international business, and more. Also includes other sources of full text information such as country economic reports from the EIU, Global Insight, ICON Group and CountryWatch and detailed company profiles for the world's 10,000 largest companies. For guidance on how to search, see Business Source Complete tutorial
Historical Newspapers (ProQuest)
Indexes articles from Chicago Defender (1905-1975), Chicago Tribune (1849-1988), Los Angeles Times (1881-1988), New York Times (1851-2008) (with Index, 1851-1993), San Francisco Chronicle (1865-1922), Wall Street Journal (1889-1994), and Washington Post (1877-1995).
Historical Newspapers Online
Indexes newspapers covering all aspects of British life and world affairs in the 19th and 20th centuries. Contains four major historical resources: Palmer's Index to the Times which covers The Times (London, 1790-1905); The Official Index to the Times (1906-1980); The Historical Index to the New York Times (1863- 1922); and Palmer's Full Text Online (1785-1870).
Historical Statistics of the United States (HSUS)
Comprehensive statistics and quantitative facts on US history. Coverage includes population, work and welfare, economics structure and economic sectors, and governance and international relations. Date coverage varies by subject with some data going back to 1790. Allows users to download tables in Excel or CSV; also download entire groups of tables as a zip file; create custom tables; merge columns from multiple tables to create custom tables, which can also be downloaded, printed, or graphed.
Library home > Articles > General Article Databases > JSTOR
Everyone Loves JSTOR:
- full text available AND searchable - you may find topics you won't find elsewhere because they're only part of an article on a related topic
- covers journals from their earliest publication dates
- DOES NOT INCLUDE THE LAST 3-5 YEARS of a journal! not good for contemporary topics!
- doesn't include as many journals in a particular discipline as the discipline-specific database (example: MLA Bibliography for literature)