Search an article database to find citations (title, author, title of journal, date, page numbers) for articles on a particular topic. The Library gives you access to over 200 article databases covering different disciplines.
1. Think about which academic disciplines might write about your topic. Examples: literature, film, anthropology, history...
2. Find the appropriate article database by subject (academic discipline or department). Look for "Recommended" databases.
Library home > Articles > Article Databases by Subject
- click on the title to see full record (including abstracts and descriptors)
- to limit by publication type (peer-reviewed journals, conferences, books, etc.) click on the appropriate tab or link
- if necessary,look for other limits (latest update, journal articles only, english only) and more advanced searches
- select records to save to your personalized list; lists may be e-mailed, downloaded, printed
UC-eLinks - Find Article Text/Location
Once you've searched a database to find articles, you may need to use to link to a PDF or html file if the full text is not immediately available. Each database is a bit different, but a good rule of thumb is this: when you see the Uc-eLinks icon click on it to view your article access options, which can range from full text to a call number to an Interlibrary Loan request:
For more information, here's a tutorial on using UC-eLinks.
Sample Searches - Articles
Academic Search Complete - interdisciplinary
Library home > Articles > General Article databases > Academic Search Complete
convenience store* or corner store* (select a field - optional)
high school* (select a field - optional)
look for other useful search terms: convenience foods, fast food, food deserts...
* = truncation symbol/wildcard child* = child childs children childhood childish, etc.
CSA Illumina Social Sciences - multiple social science databases
Library home > Articles > Article Databases by Subject > (Econ, Sociology, Psychology) > CSA Illumina Social Sciences
high school* (keywords)
reentry or renenrollm* (keywords)
use official subject terms or descriptors - to narrow search results down to items that are really about that subject:
high school* (descriptor)
college* or universit* (descriptor)
Sample searches in Ethnic NewsWatch:
Library home > Articles > Article Databases by Subject > Ethnic Studies > Ethnic NewsWatch
food justice (citation and document text )
minorit* or color (citation and document text)