Search an article database to find citations (title, author, title of journal, date, page numbers) for articles on a particular topic. The Library gives you access to over 200 article databases covering different disciplines.
1. Think about which academic disciplines might write about your topic. Examples: literature, film, anthropology, history...
2. Find the appropriate article database by subject (academic discipline or department). Look for "Recommended" databases.
Library home > Articles > Article Databases by Subject
Academic Search Complete
A multidisciplinary index to articles in more than 10,900 journals and other publications in English, Spanish, German, French, Italian and Portuguese; full-text is available for over 5300 journals.
Indexes journal articles, essays, reports, commentaries, edited works, and obituaries in the fields of social, cultural, physical, biological, and linguistic anthropology as well as ethnology, archaeology, folklore, and material culture. This database combines the resources of Anthropological Index and Anthropological Literature.
Indexes over 3,000 journals, books, dissertations, and other American and European sources covering the humanities, social sciences, and economics. Produced by the Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique, most records are in French, with about 33% in English.
Online Egyptological Bibliography
Indexes articles from important egyptological journals, festschriften, and conference volumes. Includes access to materials indexed in the print counterpart, Annual Egyptological Bibliography, as well as newly published books and articles.
Includes over 1000 scholarly journals with access to more than 2 million articles. JSTOR is an archive which means that current issues (generally the most recent 3-5 years) of the journals are not yet available.
Library home > Articles > Article Databases by Subject > M > Middle Eastern Studies > JSTOR
ancient (full text)
mesopotamia* (full text)
(click on add a field)
wom?n (full text)
* = variant word endings; ? = single character
note: only 10% of JSTOR articles have abstracts
ancient (full text)
near 25 mesopotamia (full text)
near25 women (full text)
means the words are within 25 words of each other - BUT cannot be used with wildcards or with more than one word in each row
- click on the title to see full record (including abstracts and descriptors)
- to limit by publication type (peer-reviewed journals, conferences, books, etc.) click on the appropriate tab or link
- if necessary,look for other limits (latest update, journal articles only, english only) and more advanced searches
- select records to save to your personalized list; lists may be e-mailed, downloaded, printed
UC-eLinks - Find Article Text/Location
Once you've searched a database to find articles, you may need to use to link to a PDF or html file if the full text is not immediately available. Each database is a bit different, but a good rule of thumb is this: when you see the Uc-eLinks icon click on it to view your article access options, which can range from full text to a call number to an Interlibrary Loan request:
For more information, here's a tutorial on using UC-eLinks.