To find books, DVDs, maps, sound recordings, manuscripts, and much more - everything except articles - use a library catalog.
OskiCat = most UC Berkeley libraries
MELVYL = all UC campus libraries, including all UC Berkeley libraries
What's the difference? more details here
For each item make sure you know the name of the physical library, call number, and whether or not it's checked out, library use only, etc.
DVDs and Videos on Latin America
The Media Resources Center lists their DVDs and videos on Latin America . All materials must be viewed on-site.
Search OskiCat for both primary and secondary sources. Examples:
dirty war argentin*
* = truncation symbol/wildcard for variant word endings
ex: immigra* = immigrant, immigrants, immigrating, immigration...
click on sort/limit results or go to advanced search to limit your search results to English, or by date, library or publication type
Try using official subject headings: look at the full record of relevant items to find the official subject headings; try a new search with those terms, pulling down the "keyword" menu to "subject" :
subject: mexico history revolution
state sponsored terrorism (name of country)
political violence (name of country)
if you know the name of a person or organization, search it both as an author and as a topic:
author: villa, pancho
author: madres de plazo de mayo
Try out these OskiCat features:
- limit your search to a type of material (DVDs) or a library location (Doe Reference)
- save items to a list you can e-mail/download/print
- place a recall request online
- request items from storage (NRLF)
- view a list of items you have checked out
- send call numbers to your cell phone (see below)
- receive alerts of new items that match your search terms ("preferred search")