Frequently Asked Questions
What if my academic record is blocked for library fees? How long after payment before the library's block on my academic record is cleared?
Academic blocks are cleared 24 hours after payment of library fines/fees.
No, devices may not be reserved in advance. Library laptops and iPads are available at Moffitt Library, Social Research Library, Engineering Library and the Bioscience & Natural Resources Library on a first-come, first-served basis. You can check their availability in OskiCat:
Yes. UC Berkeley undergraduate and graduate students with a valid Cal ID or yellow library card can borrow MacBook Air laptops and iPads from Moffitt Library, Social Research Library, Engineering Library and the Bioscience & Natural Resources Library.
Eligible students must be in good standing with the library (no fines, no overdue items, and no blocks).
UC Berkeley staff and faculty are not eligible to borrow library laptops, nor are members of the public or other non-student users with library privileges.
See the Electronic Devices Lending Policy for important guidelines, and a link to the Electronic Agreement Form.
- Item may be borrowed for 4 hours (no overnight), 1 day or 14 days depending on location.
- Laptops and iPads must be returned in-person to the library from which they were borrowed.
- Laptops and iPads are available on a first-come, first-served basis and are not available to reserve ahead of time. You can check current availability in OskiCat (iPad, MacBook Air with OSX, MacBook Air with Windows).
- Only one device can be checked out at a time per patron.
- Printing is available directly from library laptops or iPads via PrinterOn.
- MacBook Air 13” (256GB SSD, 8GB RAM) laptops are available, some with OSX and some with Windows OS. The following software is installed: Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, Java, Flash, RealPlayer, Silverlight, etc.
- 32GB iPad Airs are available, with apps for office editing and reading ebooks.
Fines and charges
Borrowers are responsible for loss, damage, and theft of a laptop or iPad while in their possession. Borrowers should verify the condition of the device at the time of check-out and upon check-in. See the Pay fines page for replacement and overdue charges.
The library will send you an email notification when the item you requested is ready to be picked up at the Circulation Desk. We will also notify you if your request is canceled. Requests may be canceled for a variety of reasons, such as when the item can't be located in the library, the item cannot be checked out to you, or you have exceeded your item request limit. Communication is by email, so check your library record to make sure the email address we have on file for you is correct.
Requests generally will be fulfilled within 1-3 business days, which allows one day for the request, one day for printing of the hold slip and pulling the item, and one day for mailroom delivery to the requested hold shelf location. If you need an item sooner than three business days, you should go directly to the owning library and check it out in person.
Yes, as well as on many other other smartphones and internet-enabled handhelds, but you will usually need to to configure your mobile browser to use the Library's Proxy Server. Note: You must be using Wi-Fi to connect to the Library Proxy Server and you must repeat these steps for each Wi-Fi network to which you connect. On the iPhone, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Select Wi-Fi.
- Select the Wi-Fi Network to which you are connected.
- In the Wi-Fi Networks window, tap on the arrow to the right of your Wi-Fi network name.
- Your IP Address selection should be DHCP.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen to HTTP Proxy.
- Select Auto.
- In the URL text box, enter:
Be sure to include "http://", and do not insert any empty spaces before or after the URL.
- If you're using an iPad, your software keyboard is probably still visible. Tap on the bottom right key to hide the keyboard and save the proxy URL setting.
- Go back to the home screen and open your web browser. When you come to a UC- or UCB-licensed resource, you will be asked for your CalNet login.
To configure your laptop off-campus or your desktop web browser, read our proxy setup instructions.
Note: If you connect to the Internet through CalVisitor, you will not be able to access licensed library resources, or use the Library Proxy Server to access licensed library resources.
When you're out of town and one of your items is recalled (or overdue and not available to renew), you are still responsible for returning the item by the due date to avoid late fees. Mailing an item to the Library should be your last resort. Please return items in person, or have someone deliver it in person on your behalf, if at all possible.
If it's not possible to return your items in person, you can mail materials to the Library from which they were checked out, keeping in mind:
- You will incur replacement fees for any item lost in the mail. The Library is not responsible for lost items.
- You should use the most secure delivery method available to you, with tracking and delivery confirmation, as well as insurance.
- Please pack the item securely, as you will be responsible for items damaged in the mail.
- Library name, building and room numbers for each library are listed on the Library hours and maps page. Please add that information to the general UC Berkeley mailing address on your package:
Building and/or Room Number
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
During holiday closures (see library hours), due dates will typically be extended to the first post-holiday business day. While requests can still be placed online via OskiCat at any time, the same closure policy will apply to holds for pickup.
Six-month loans are eligible for 7 renewals. All other loan periods are eligible for 11 renewals.
How to renew in OskiCat:
- Click the My OskiCat link (top right corner of screen).
- Log in with your Library/Cal 1 card number and PIN, or log in via CalNet.
- Select the items you wish to renew by checking the boxes in the RENEW column, then clicking the Renew Selected button.
- If you wish to renew all your items at once, click the Renew ALL button.