Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. For the duration of your proxy session, your browser will need to accept all cookies, in order to ensure normal operation and prevent unauthorized access to licensed resources.
If you're concerned about the privacy implications of allowing all cookies, please consider the following approaches:
- Configure your browser to delete cookies on exit, and exit at the end of each web browsing session. You can also delete cookies manually whenever you like. Here are instructions for Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari, and Safari for iPad.
- Use a different browser when you access licensed resources. Configure it to use the proxy, and to accept all cookies.
- In a browser that supports profiles, like Firefox, configure one profile for proxy use with all cookies allowed, and one for other use.
- Instead of the proxy server, use the VPN (Virtual Private Network) system.
What if my academic record is blocked for library fees? How long after payment before the library's block on my academic record is cleared?
Academic blocks are cleared 24 hours after payment of library fines/fees.
Yes, library laptops and iPads are available at the Moffitt Circulation Desk to check-out and use outside of the library. Display adapters are not available at the Moffitt Circulation Desk but can be checked out for four-hour loans at the Media Resources Center.
UC Berkeley undergraduate and graduate students with a valid Cal ID or yellow library card can borrow Apple laptops and iPads from the Moffitt Library Circulation Desk. Eligible students must be in good standing with the library (no fines, no overdue items, no recalls, and no blocks).
UC Berkeley staff and faculty are not eligible to borrow library laptops, nor are members of the public or other non-student users with library privileges.
- Laptops are available for four-hour loans plus one renewal.
- Laptops must be returned in-person to the Moffitt Circulation Desk and are not available for overnight check-out.
- Laptops are available on a first-come, first-serve basis and are not available to reserve ahead of time. You can check current availability in OskiCat (include links).
- Only one device can be checked out at a time per patron.
- Printing is not currently available directly from library laptops or iPads.
- Twenty MacBook Air 13” (256GB SSD, 8GB RAM) laptops are available, ten with OSX and ten with Windows OS. The following software is installed: Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, Java, Flash, RealPlayer, QuickTime, Silverlight, etc.
- Ten 32GB iPad Airs are available, with apps for office editing and reading ebooks.
Fines and charges
Borrowers are responsible for loss, damage, and theft of a laptop or iPad while in their possession. Borrowers should verify the condition of the laptop at the time of check-out and upon check-in. Replacement charges are as followed:
- MacBook Air laptop: $2000
- Ipad: $1200
- Overdue fines: $20 per hour with the maximum fine being the replacement cost
- Replacement charges and fines cannot be waived or forgiven.
At the Circulation Desk of any one of 24 locations you select: Anthropology, Bioscience, Business, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, East Asian, Education/Psychology, Engineering, Environmental Design, Ethnic Studies, Institute of Governmental Studies (IGS), Institute of Transportation Studies (ITS), Lawrence Berkeley Labs, Gardner (MAIN) Stacks, Math/Statistics, Moffitt, Morrison, Music, Newspapers & Microforms, Northern Regional Library Facility (NRLF), Optometry, Physics/Astronomy, Public Health and Social Research.
Items are kept on hold shelves for 7 days, beginning on the date you receive our email notice that it is ready for pickup. After 7 days the item is returned to the stacks or made available to another patron who may have placed a hold on it.
The library will send you an email notification when the item you requested is ready to be picked up at the Circulation Desk. We will also notify you if your request is canceled. Requests may be canceled for a variety of reasons, such as when the item can't be located in the library, the item cannot be checked out to you, or you have exceeded your item request limit. Communication is by email, so check your library record to make sure the email address we have on file for you is correct.
Requests generally will be fulfilled within 1-3 business days, which allows one day for the request, one day for printing of the hold slip and pulling the item, and one day for mailroom delivery to the requested hold shelf location. If you need an item sooner than three business days, you should go directly to the owning library and check it out in person.