Who is eligible to use the proxy server?
Eligibility is governed by our license agreements with the vendors of electronic resources. These typically stipulate that the Library can permit off-campus access to authorized users only.
- Current UC Berkeley students, faculty, and staff
- Continuing UC Berkeley students who, although unregistered, are in good standing and working towards a degree
- UC Berkeley emeritus professors and retired academic staff
- UCOP (University of California Office of the President) staff with valid UC Berkeley library cards
- UC Extension students with valid UC Berkeley library cards (must be a California resident and apply for the card in person)
- UC Extension faculty with valid UC Berkeley library cards.
- Visiting scholars and post-doctoral fellows who are registered with the Visiting Scholars and Postdoc Affairs office.
Off-campus access via the proxy server is not available to alumni, to former employees, to retired non-academic staff, to persons unofficially or only loosely affiliated with UC Berkeley, to associates of other University of California campuses, to those who have purchased a UC Berkeley Library Card, or to the public at large. Please see the Library Proxy Server page for details.
If you have questions concerning your eligibility for Library services, please contact the Privileges Desk in Doe Library (510-642-3403).
However, anyone may come into the Library and use these resources through the "Research Access" option on our public computers.