Re: An Idea

Jessica (jesskino@redconnect.net)
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 16:17:22 -0800 (PST)

We may be talking apples & oranges. You seem somewhat focused on academic
library collections whereas I think the big problem is in Public and
particularly branch library collections. There I think the need for not so
much a list but guidelines and reccomendations is absolutely crucial. I
think a curated list for educational may work but pressuring more public
libraries to broaden their collections beyond Disney is really essential. I
really do not care about particular films other than the idea that
selections of video needs to be done for reasons other than cheap & easy.
Lists often lead to problems. A library collection could survive without a
single copy of CITIZEN KANE, THE GENERAL , RULES OF THE GAME or even a Bill
Moyers series but it can not function as a true library collection without a
real committment to non-fiction, foreign & classic films, otherwise the
public might as well go to Blockbuster

Regards

Jessica