Re: An Idea

Wed, 15 Dec 1999 15:29:42 -0800 (PST)

It's not a perfect world, Jessica. Building core cinema collections
couldn't be a more different endeavor than developing a core of
non-theatrical works. I realize that movies can be used as texts, and as a
means of both educational and aesthetic enlightenment. It goes without
saying that no effective video collection should be without a core of movie
classics. I'm hoping Randy will update his book and set the world
straight regarding this domain; for the purposes of my book and the list, I
think I'm sticking to non-theatricals.

gary

At 03:13 PM 12/15/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>OK I am being self serving again but "non-theatrical" knocks out virtually
>all foreign & classic films which are sorely missing from most public
>library collections. I think we ought to encourage a broad catagory of
>videos. Certianly films like Modern Times and The 400 Blows are
>"educational" but they are "theatrical". Lists are VERY tricky but the idea
>of SERIOUS collection developement escpecially for public libraries is a
>crucial issue. Personally my own list would be 200 copies of KISS ME DEADLY
>( no I am not kidding it is my favorite film, though I would NEVER actually
>watch it on video).
>
>Regards
>
>jessica rosner
>Kino