Re: An Idea

Wed, 15 Dec 1999 15:19:50 -0800 (PST)

Hi...

Wull...these are, of course, a couple of real zingers, Jonathan.

Since we're being arbitrary in any case, let's call it a generic desert
island list for a generic library and let's forget about cost (although, as
editor, I think I'm going to try for a mix)...the idea is to come up with a
kind of essential list for video literates (the same kind of list everyone
got pissed off at E.D. Hirsch for compiling for books).

Ok?

At 02:13 PM 12/15/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>Dear Gary
>
>Two questions about your cool list idea:
>
>1) To what extent will you take price into account in selecting the titles
>you recommend?
>2) Will you suggest the same titles for both public and academic
libraries?

>Best
>

>Jonathan Miller
>

>At 12:56 PM 12/15/99 -0800, you wrote:
>>Hi Gang...
>>
>>This morning, I had an idea (how novel!) in relation to the recent
>>discussion regarding core lists, best lists, etc. So...I'm working on this
>>video collection development book, which attempts to provide guidance for
>>video collection developers in multitype libraries...I know I earlier
>>sneered at the notion of an AFI-like 100 Best list, but...what if we used
>>VIDEOLIB and our collective expertise to compile a 200 title desert island
>>list (the 200 videos you'd take to establish an opening day collection on
>>Bora Bora, or something...). Seems to me such a list might be a useful
>>inclusion in my book...as long as we called it for what it is--not
>>exhaustive, simply the collective wisdom and opinion of working librarians.
>>
>>What do y'all think? There are around 350-400 folks on this list;
>>certainly we could compile an interesting, briefly annotated list of some
>>sort?
>>

>>Gary Handman
>>Director
>>Media Resources Center
>>Moffitt Library
>>UC Berkeley 94720-6000
>>http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>>
>>"Everything wants to become television" (James Ulmer -- Teletheory)
>>

>Jonathan Miller, President
>First Run / Icarus Films
>153 Waverly Place
>New York, NY 10014 USA