Re: An Idea

Nell Chenault (nchenaul@saturn.vcu.edu)
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 14:47:21 -0800 (PST)

I concur. There is overlap, but many great instructional films are
inappropriate for public, and general interest films may not have the
content depth for academic.

I just checked out the National Film Registry list for this year. Their
list is now up to 275.
The 25 new titles include some great gems (such as "Night of the Living
Dead" and Daffy's "Duck Amuck"). Why not consider "Rat Girls From Venus"?

At 02:13 PM 12/15/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>Dear Gary
>
>Two questions about your cool list idea:
>
>1) To what extent will you take price into account in selecting the titles
>you recommend?
>2) Will you suggest the same titles for both public and academic
libraries?

>Best
>

>Jonathan Miller
>

>At 12:56 PM 12/15/99 -0800, you wrote:
>>Hi Gang...
>>
>>This morning, I had an idea (how novel!) in relation to the recent
>>discussion regarding core lists, best lists, etc. So...I'm working on this
>>video collection development book, which attempts to provide guidance for
>>video collection developers in multitype libraries...I know I earlier
>>sneered at the notion of an AFI-like 100 Best list, but...what if we used
>>VIDEOLIB and our collective expertise to compile a 200 title desert island
>>list (the 200 videos you'd take to establish an opening day collection on
>>Bora Bora, or something...). Seems to me such a list might be a useful
>>inclusion in my book...as long as we called it for what it is--not
>>exhaustive, simply the collective wisdom and opinion of working librarians.
>>
>>What do y'all think? There are around 350-400 folks on this list;
>>certainly we could compile an interesting, briefly annotated list of some
>>sort?
>>

>>Gary Handman
>>Director
>>Media Resources Center
>>Moffitt Library
>>UC Berkeley 94720-6000
>>http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>>
>>"Everything wants to become television" (James Ulmer -- Teletheory)
>>

>Jonathan Miller, President
>First Run / Icarus Films
>153 Waverly Place
>New York, NY 10014 USA
>
>Tel: 1.212.727.1711
>Fax: 1.212.255.7923
>Web: http://www.frif.com
>e mail: jmiller@frif.com

Nell J. Chenault nchenaul@saturn.vcu.edu
Cabell Media Resource Services
University Library Services
Virginia Commonwealth University
Richmond, VA 23284-2033 (804) 828-1088 FAX: 828-7473