Re: Public libraries and video collections

Mon, 13 Dec 1999 10:32:23 -0800 (PST)

Jeeze, Randy...would you please lift this particular albatross from around
my neck, already!!! I'm all out of mia culpa's...

Even though Randy's book with Elliott Swanson is a bit light on obscure but
canonical cinema works (those near and dear to us moldy academics), I think
it still has legs as a good basic core collection for public libraries
(second edition, sometime, Randy???). Randy didn't mention that he has
agreed to provide a revised version of his excellent overview chapter on
cinema collections in public libraries in the forthcoming (late 2000)
second edition of the book I'm editing, Video Collection Development in
Multitype Libraries: A Handbook (Greenwood).

At 09:59 AM 12/13/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>We also subscribe to Randy Pittman's "Video
>> Librarian" which I highly recommend. This newsletter has helped us avoid
>some
>> costly mistakes and introduced us to excellent (and reasonably priced)
>titles
>> we otherwise would have missed.
>
>Mary--Thanks for the plug! BTW, although after a decade it's hard to shake
>the "newsletter" image--we've entering our 5th year as a full-color magazine
>(or, as Pinocchio might say, "a real live boy!").
>
>I do like the idea of a list of 100 titles
>> that should be in every collection but I'd rather see it come from
>librarians -
>> not distributors.
>
>I wrote a book with Elliott Swanson (AV librarian) in 1990 called "Video
>Movies: A Core Collection for Libraries" (ABC-CLIO), which offered a list of
>500 movies on video. Our own Gary Handman gave it a lukewarm review in LJ
>(and I've been able to milk an incredible number of favors out of Gary for
>that review now for years), saying that it was canted more toward public
>libraries (which it is). It's definitely in need of being updated...
>
>Best,
>
>Randy Pitman
>Publisher/Editor
>Video Librarian