Re: Public libraries and video collections

Mon, 13 Dec 1999 08:56:17 -0800 (PST)

Ugh! please spare us another AFI 100 Best debacle! What's really needed is
a more comprehensive core list for public libraries (and one for academic
libraries, as well)...something on the order of Books for College
Libraries, with input from a wide swath of experts in the field. Maybe we
should use this list to compile such?

Gary Handman

At 07:41 AM 12/13/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>Yes, and I'm sure many do. That's what I meant. It isn't always necessary
>to purchase very expensive video to have a quality collection. Over the years
>we've taken advantage of every opportunity to improve our collection within
>our budgetary constrictions. We also subscribe to Randy Pittman's "Video
>Librarian" which I highly recommend. This newsletter has helped us avoid some
>costly mistakes and introduced us to excellent (and reasonably priced) titles
>we otherwise would have missed. I do like the idea of a list of 100 titles
>that should be in every collection but I'd rather see it come from
librarians -
>not distributors.
> Mary Gontarek
> Owatonna Public Library