Re: Public libraries and video collections (long)

sgilliam@GUILFORD.EDU
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 12:01:56 -0800 (PST)

me, too

Chris Lewis <clewis@american.edu>@library.berkeley.edu on 12/10/99 01:53:12
PM

Please respond to videolib@library.berkeley.edu

Sent by: videolib@library.berkeley.edu

To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
cc:
Subject: Re: Public libraries and video collections (long)

I'll admit I had only been browsing the posts on this particular until this
one
perked me up. It made me think of the CD collections in most public
libraries.
Now even though I work in an academic library I use public libraries fairly
often and I sometimes wonder why so many public library music collections
are
so lame.. They seem to have been selected with some bizarre approval plan
that
favors way too much Frank Sinatra, Kenny Rogers, the Beatles and what seem
like random selections of classical music. Is it because of the Pink Floyd
one-way circulation syndrome? Whole categories of music such as reggae,
zydeco,
afro-pop, hardcore, and even hip hop, get little more than token
representation. Where is the Indestructible Beat of Soweto? Where is the
Link
Wray? Where is the Lee Perry? Where is the Bessie Smith? Not to mention the
Grandmaster Flashes, Tav Falcos, Ray Campis, Nick Drakes, and Nanci
Griffiths
of the world.

Just wondering,

Chris Lewis