Re: Public libraries and video collections (long)

Chuck Ebert (ebertch@oplin.lib.oh.us)
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 07:45:56 -0800 (PST)

I'm being pulled in two directions on this issue. For the most part it's the
cheap popular movies that are disappearing or are getting damaged. I don't even
bother replacing Terminator, T2, Full Metal Jacket, or (believe it or not)
Annie, anymore because I know somebody will take them out and never return
them. It's happened too many times in the past. With music it's even worse.
If you buy a copy of Dark Side of the Moon for your collection, you may as well
wrap it up with a bow because it's a gift to the first punk who comes along. I
really feel like I'm wasting the public's money in cases like that.

Cost and damage is factor, too. Like the earlier poster, I admit that when I'm
going over reviews, I skip the ones for titles that are a couple hundred
dollars. The main reason is that I have to stretch my budget, but I also don't
want to have that conversation where I tell a patron he/she owes us $240 for a
half hour tape. In my defense I would point out that a large price tag doesn't
always guarantee high production values. It's hard to get much slicker than a
Nova or a National Geographic and you can pick those up for $20. You can find
material on most topics of interest to public library patrons in that price
range.

The irony is that a $500 documentary on agricultural practices in East Timor
probably won't get stolen. It probably won't get damaged either, because it
probably won't go out. I'm pressed for space so I have to do a lot of weeding
and I just hate to get rid of a tape that cost us a bundle and circulated maybe
three times in five years. I give it to the Friends and they sell it for a
buck. It seems like a waste of money and time to me. And yet if you buy
certain popular items at the other extreme, they will get stolen or damaged and
that's a waste too.

It's one of those dilemmas that make our jobs so interesting.

-Chuck Ebert
Head, Audio-Visual Services
Muskingum County Library System
Zanesville, OH