(no subject)

Judy Jones (jonesjm@libraryserver.lib.csus.edu)
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 16:56:12 -0800 (PST)

I'll bet if we put our heads together we could come up with the
top 100 educational video titles, regardless of price. Perhaps,
then, public libraries with limited budgets could work on
acquiring these titles over a certain time period. Maybe the
"Friends of the Library" could kick in with a grant. As far as
circulation here some of my top titles would be:

All the BBC Shakespeare plays
Color of Fear
All "Killing Us Softly" titles
Most California Newsreel titles
Ethnic Notions
True Colors
Business of Paradigms
ASL series
Long Search series
Connections series
Almost all Annenberg CPB series
Faces of Culture series

Date: Thu, 9
Dec 1999 12:58:48 -0800 (PST) Reply-to:
videolib@library.berkeley.edu From: Gary Handman
<ghandman@library.berkeley.edu> To: Multiple recipients of
list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu> Subject: Re:

Thanks! Academics need a hard kick in the butt sometimes to wake them up
in their ivory towers.

On the other hand:

While I'm certain hard realities often enter into the selection process
(and probably rightfully so), I guess my concern is the degree to which
such factors seem to drive public library collection development and
collection policy. The argument that you can buy 10 bland, mass-market
wonders, or 10 pop-schlock movie titles for the price of one expensive but
astoundly great independently-produced work is pure sophistry, in my book.
Similarly, making collection decisions based largely on the fear of what
mischief your patrons might do, or based on a fear of pissing off
miscreants with a high replacement bill seems more than a little cynical to
me.

I guess it all boils down to the question of what the mission of the
library is and why we bother building collections at all. Are we pandering
to what we perceive as the public's insatiable appetite for quick,
pop-culture fixes; are we trying to build diverse collections for a diverse
clientele, to support the production of diverse content...are we trying to
balance all of this.

If low cost, mass market entertainment is where we've finally come to
rest--because of budget, or crisis of faith, or whatever--I think we might
as well hand over the keys to Blockbuster and Barnes & Noble.