RE: VRT Newsletter and Opinion Poll

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@sdln.net)
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 10:57:07 -0800 (PST)

Hi Mary, I appreciate your comments concerning the VRT newsleter on the
web and we may just try doubling up to see if some people access the web
site more. I wanted to e-mail you to ask you some succinct questions about
your comments. I agree with mostly everything you say but am confused
about one comment. You state that we might be eliminating anyone who would
come upon the newsletter by chance. I"m not sure how you/your library
handles the VRT newsletter, but at most libraries I doubt that it goes out
in the public area or even in schools/universities is posted on the
bulletin board/routed through interoffice mail for other students,
faculty/staff to see. If I'm wrong - I think that would be a fantastic
thing - serendipitous discovery is one of the great building blocks of a
library/learning. Am I misunderstanding your meaning? I think would think
that a free newsletter on our website would garner more serendipitous hits
(or just as many) depending upon what our website metatags (the tags that
most web page search engines look for first) say. Possibly doing both the
electronic and paper products might be beneficial. Thanks again for your
comments. Jim Scholtz.

At 08:01 AM 12/7/99 -0800, you wrote:
>While putting the newsletter on the web is a good idea, I think you'd be
making
>a mistake to discontinue the hard copy. As someone who wears several hats in
>a small public library - media services, reference and periodicals - and has
>to deal with a large volume of professional mail, I find it much easier to
>read hard copy than long, sometimes complex messages via email. I don't think
>I'm alone in this but tell me if I am! It's bad enough dealing with personal
>messages and the kind of brief (but oh so fascinating!) stuff on this
listserve
>but I often zone out when faced with Gary's news articles, for instance.
While
>I appreciate the info, I often just don't have the time to digest it all when
>I receive it and if I don't read it then, I may not have the time to get back
>to it! I agree with Gary. Sometimes I'd rather just read it when and where I
>want to and not on a computer print-out! This is sort of like the argument
that
>eventually everyone will be doing their shopping on the web. As someone
who likes the physical experience of shopping - the anticipation of
arriving at the