Re: VRT Newsletter and Opinion Poll

Wed, 8 Dec 1999 09:27:59 -0800 (PST)

I'm replying to Jim's inquiry as a long-time VRT member.

I've read the previous replies and I think that Chris Lewis's summarizes
my overall reaction: I don't think that it's expensive to produce the
newsletter and I am adamantly opposed to discontinuing the paper version.
I *do* think that back issues should be available on the VRT web site, but
the print version is easy to read and provides a service to our members
who do not have ready access to the Internet. In our user surveys many
members have cited the newsletter as the most important benefit of VRT
membership. Many joined VRT to receive the newsletter. We should not
abandon this service to our members.

I think it's a problem conducting this poll on Videolib. We are all
obviously email users. I have the necessary Web browser and Adobe
Acrobat. However, we may not be representative of the entire membership.
I also think that the opinions of people who are *not* VRT members (please
join!) should be considered separately from those who are. People
who are not members have probably never seen the newsletter. Maybe this
should have gone to the Executive Committee first... It's VRT business.

Kristine Brancolini
Indiana University Libraries