Re: content warnings

Gail B. Fedak (gfedak@mtsu.edu)
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 14:21:06 -0800 (PST)

------=_NextPart_000_00A7_01BF40CF.910FC140

We have several titles dealing with various "sensitive" topics in =
straightforward, often graphic and verbally blunt, terms. The only title =
we have labeled with a warning is Dreamworlds, which came with a printed =
warning from Sut Jhally. Because we repackage / relabel everything we =
purchase, we taped the warning (5 paragraphs long) inside the back =
window of the case. This is the only program we have received with a =
noticeable warning, and we chose to make it available as closely as =
possible to the way it would have been had we retained the original =
packaging. We certainly do not attempt to label everything that may be =
offensive. We, after all, serve an adult audience who are on campus =
ostensibly to learn, in the broadest sense. Also, none of our materials =
are available on open stacks for patrons to browse. They must use the =
Library's database to access our titles, each of which when finished =
being cataloged, includes a reasonably descriptive annotation that =
should allow an interested viewer to ascertain the nature of the =
program's content. =20
Hope this helps,
Gail B. Fedak
Instructional Media Resources