Re: content warnings

Sally S. Wellman (swellman@pelican.state.lib.la.us)
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 11:41:29 -0800 (PST)

At 11:04 AM 12/7/99 -0800, you wrote:
>I agree that a title such as "Female Circumcision" should be enough of a
>warning for those of us with common sense.
>Common sense, however, is not all that common.

I recently had a children's librarian complain at length to me about
Weston's Woods animated "Emperor's New Clothes." She used it at storytime
and the kiddies howled when it showed the emperor's rear end. She said the
production needed a label because it had so much nudity and was graphic. I
asked her if she was familiar with the story. She said she was but didn't
expect to see anything like that.

Well, we looked at it, and it did show his butt. There was definitely no
frontal nudity. I suggested that she preview the videos before showing
them to the kids.

Barb, you are right. Common sense is not all that common.

Sally S. Wellman
Asst. Coordinator, Special Services
& Manager, Audiovisual Resource Center
State Library of Louisiana