Re: Interesting prices follow-up from Chip Taylor

Mon, 6 Dec 1999 13:26:08 -0800 (PST)

I appreciate your careful response, Chip. As for airing concerns on this
(or any other) listserv--positive or negative: it's interesting that this
recent round of discussions seems to be the first time in a great while
that I've seen distributors actively "sit up and bark," as it were...
Whether anything comes of this discussion is yet to be seen. My experience
is that single voices (even powerful voices) are very seldom heard or acted
upon by the sellers of library "product." Talking to sales manager or
customer service reps is--pardon my cynicism--like whispering to the void
in most cases, particularly if the whisperer has a fairly slim budget to
back up his/her words. On the other hand, I think there is strength in
union; and in my view, that's exactly what is going on here. My hope is
that the opinions and concerns aired on videolib in the last week have
served as a kind of group wake up call: there are obviously commonly-held
and strongly-held concerns about various pricing and marketing
practices--this listserv has allowed those concerns to be heard at a louder
volume than would otherwise be possible.

UC Berkeley 94720-6000