RE: Interesting pricing

Judy Jones (jonesjm@libraryserver.lib.csus.edu)
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 09:26:20 -0800 (PST)

Count me in. I used to spend a big chunk of my materials budget
with FFHS. Now I spend very little. The major reason, aside
from the date business and the repackaging deal, is that the
academic quality of what FFHS has chosen to put in their
collection lately leaves much to be desired. How many of you
have ordered a spiffy title from their catalog only to receive
it and find that it is some 20 minute segment off of a
television news station, for example in San Antonia Texas. The
segment is fluff or dumbed down general interest and contains no
significant or new information. (We don't preview titles under
$100 - maybe we should.) I can't trust what I order to be of
college quality.

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 08:54:23
-0800 (PST) Reply-to: videolib@library.berkeley.edu From:
Gary Handman <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu> To:
Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu> Subject:
RE: Interesting pricing

Hi all.

This recent discussion has gotten me to thinking: we're 400 or 500 strong
on this list, not a bad chunk of buying power. Seems to me that as a sort
of pressure group, we might be able to lean on vendors whose practices
are...um...questionable, or odd. I don't think Insight would care a fig
about what we say...I think FFHS would.

Should we be doing something en masse?

Gary

UC Berkeley 94720-6000