Re: What to look for in video-streaming

Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:06:10 -0800 (PST)

Yeah...if anyone can deliver an image which is accessible by a client
farther than 100 feet from the server and which doesn't look like either a)
a wobbling postage stamp b) Max Headroom delivering the State of the
Address Union...by all means go for it.

Streaming simply is not (yet) a viable alternative to analog closed or
open-circuit broadcasting...no matter what the video wonks try to pitch
you. It's possible that intranet delivery of uncompressed video or MPEG II
files might work, but there are severe limits to these solutions in terms
of access and storage requirements (not to mention ease of access)

At 03:33 PM 11/17/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>We're fed up with our malfunctioning, two-year-old closed broadcasting
system at
>our college. I'm going tomorrow to hear the benefits of video-streaming,
with a
>view to taking a different direction in video delivery.
>
>Can anyone suggest what I should be looking for as the various vendors
>demonstrate their wares?
>
>Has anyone heard if there will be a major "streaming" supplier with
educational
>videos on demand?
>
> Stephen Davies
> Classroom Services coordinator