Re: Circulating videos

Tue, 16 Nov 1999 08:15:31 -0800 (PST)

There are no copyright restrictions related to the interlibrary loan of
videos. If I lend _Saving Private Ryan_ to an instructor across the state
(unlikely, due it's widespread availability, but the same principle
applies to any home video), she can use the video in class, just as an
instructor here could use it in a class. The face-to-face teaching
exemption applies. Actually, home video isn't the problem with regard to
ILL; some of our expensive educational titles come with license
restrictions. That is, when we acquired the video, we signed a license
saying we would not lend it on ILL. On the other hand, since it's so
expensive we probably wouldn't want to lend it anyway. I just designate
that title "campus use only."

This isn't a fair use issue. A borrower would have the same privileges
and restrictions as one of our users, unless there is a license
restriction on lending the video at all.

Kristine Brancolini
Indiana University.