Re: Circulating videos

LaRoi Lawton (LRL@BCC.CUNY.EDU)
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 06:45:24 -0800 (PST)

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01BF3016.95FC0AC0

Dear VidLibers:
I find this listserv very informative and engaging and glad that I can =
participate and respond to queries that concern all of us. With respect =
to ILL of AV materials, CUNY (The City University of New York) is =
currently attempting to deal with this=20
as well. Overall, many of us in media are concerned about the copyright =
issues, and as a result have heard some horror stories on this subject. =
We are all aware of the ongoing developments in copyright law. At the =
same time the technology has=20
gone through a metamorphosis that has not stopped. This has had a =
positive and=20
negative effect on the educational needs of our students, faculty and =
staff. While I
promote the use of ILL for fair use across campuses, and universities, =
there appears to be no standard policy nation-wide, much less state =
wide, depending upon who you talk to. When I peruse =
http://www.cetus.org/ the issues are even more complicated than before. =
Obviously vendors are in the thick of this debate and any Instructor who =
wants to use Saving Private Ryan to his or her History class risks being =
sued by the copyright owner. The lack of any standardized "fair use =
guidelines" across the board for educational multimedia places a huge =
burden
on educators who are encouraged to utilize many of today's new teaching =
technologies. The debate continues......

LaRoi Lawton
Library/Learning Center
Bronx Community College
Bronx, NY 10453