Re: Circulating videos

Tue, 16 Nov 1999 05:43:39 -0800 (PST)

We've been lending videos on ILL for more than 10 years. In 1995 a
graduate student from the IU library school, Steve Egyhazi, did a study on
the interlibrary loan of video at Indiana University and published an
article in the _Katharine Sharp Review_. You might want to take a look:

<http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/review/summer1995/egyhazi.html>

We also conducted a survey of Video Round Table members. The results were
poblished in Winter 1995 in the _VRT News_. This issue hasn't been
archived electronically, but the article is on my web page:

<http://www.indiana.edu/~libreser/kris/internetsurvey.html>

Indiana University does not lend a widely as the University of Virginia.
Our stated policy is academic institutions in Indiana and the members of
the CIC (our consortium). However, I do lend beyond those institutions if
you call or email and ask me. I think this arrangement is typical.
Everything we have is in OCLC, so it's easy to find out if we have a
particular title.

In general, we were apprehensive about lending videos but there have been
no dire consequences. However, we do control what leaves the library, by
indicating in the online catalog titles that do not circulate off campus,
either due to their popularity here, their cost, or their rarity (OP).

Kristine Brancolini
Indiana University