Re: Circulating videos

Nell Chenault (nchenaul@saturn.vcu.edu)
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 13:28:08 -0800 (PST)

VCU's Academic Campus library began loaning media for almost three years.
We began lending at the request of the Virginia VIVA (Virtual Library of
Virginia) directors' request. Our Medical Campus library has been loaning
media through ILL for at least 12 years.

We loan most media formats. Exceptions include models, charts, posters,
large and fragile items.
We do not loan if it is a high use items (annual list) or if the ILL
request is close to a scheduled classroom booking.
Who do we loan to: 1. VIVA, RALC, & ASERL libraries 2. academic libraries.
We rarely loan to school, public or special libraries
Loan for one weeks use (21 days circulation).
Ask for retroprocity, we want to be able to borrow their media.
FedEx or other priority mail service.
Magnetic media label on package and one included for return package.
We not use fiber envelopes (loose fiber can damage magnetic media or media
players).
We loan approximately one per week. Borrow approximately 5 per week.

ALA "Guidelines for Interlibrary Loan of Audiovisual Formats" can be found
off the Video Round Table home page.
http://www.lib.virginia.edu/dmmc/VRT/illguide

htmlAt 12:31 PM 11/15/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello:
>
>Are there any academic institutions among the VIDEOLIB membership who
>allow videos to circulate via ILL? I am interested in your policies,
>procedures and also any issues you have encountered. I'd also be happy
>to hear from the public library sector as well.
>
>Thank you for your help.
>
>Kim
>
>Kimberly Hale, Acquisitions Librarian/Coordinator of Collection Development
>Library, Columbia College Chicago
>624 South Michigan Avenue Chicago, IL 60605
>(312)344-7355(voice) / (312)344-8062(fax)

Nell J. Chenault nchenaul@saturn.vcu.edu
Cabell Media Resource Services
University Library Services
Virginia Commonwealth University
Richmond, VA 23284-2033 (804) 828-1088 FAX: 828-7473