RE: Video showings in the library

Thu, 4 Nov 1999 14:20:09 -0800 (PST)

Uh...Richard...charging has fees has nothing to do with it. You show a
film or video in public, you need public performance rights. Period. I
like the idea of public libraries screening films and videos, also; I'd
never do it without paying off the copyright owner or his/her agent.

At 01:50 PM 11/04/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>You cannot do this for free! You must pay a license.
>Carol Dunn
>
>----------

There
>is no extra licensing fee involved.
>--Richard
>http://www.richardcohenfilms.com
>
>James Smith wrote:
>
>> Hello All:
>>
>> My library is considering a new program where we show videos free of charge
>> in our auditorium to whoever wants to come in and watch them. Now I know
>> that I cannot just takes the videos off my shelf to use, so what I need to
>> know is do I have to purchase the videos with PPR, or are there companies
>> out there who simply rent them with PPR specifically for this situation.
Any
>> info would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> James
>> James G. Smith
>> Denver Public Library
>> Collection Development Office
>> 10 West 14th Avenue Parkway
>> Denver, CO 80204
>> (303)640-6112 Phone
>> (303)640-6216 Fax
>> jsmith@denver.lib.co.us
>

>Attachment Converted: "D:\My Documents\Attachments\RE Video showings in
the libra"

UC Berkeley 94720-6000