Re: Video showings in the library

Jessica (
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 12:12:55 -0800 (PST)

Depends what kind of things you want to program. Most standard Hollywood
films would be handled by either MPLC or Criterion in Chicago. For foreign
and Independent films there are a number of companies( including mine) that
have rights to a large number of titles. Also you need to understand is that
the distributor of Home Video is NOT NECCESSARILY the owner of the PPR
rights. You need to be VERY careful about who actually owns the PPR on any
non studio film. If you just want to program standard popular stuff MPLC
should work so long as you get an EXACT list of TITLES ( pay no attention
to the glossy list of "companies" the represent), however if you want more
off-beat titles you will have to check around

(I will gladly send you a catalogue)
>From: "James Smith" <>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <>
>Subject: Video showings in the library
>Date: Thu, Nov 4, 1999, 6:11 PM

>Hello All:
>My library is considering a new program where we show videos free of charge
>in our auditorium to whoever wants to come in and watch them. Now I know
>that I cannot just takes the videos off my shelf to use, so what I need to
>know is do I have to purchase the videos with PPR, or are there companies
>out there who simply rent them with PPR specifically for this situation. Any
>info would be greatly appreciated.
>James G. Smith
>Denver Public Library
>Collection Development Office
>10 West 14th Avenue Parkway
>Denver, CO 80204
>(303)640-6112 Phone
>(303)640-6216 Fax