Re: El Topo &/or Border Town

Wed, 3 Nov 1999 12:19:41 -0800 (PST)

Susan: "SHOULD" from what perspective? It would be logical? You bought
one copy, you are entitled to one copy, regardless of the standard?
Perhaps this makes sense, but it is not permitted by the copyright law. If
someone disagrees, ask for the appropriate section in the copyright law.
It doesn't exist. I know that some libraries convert tapes to NTSC, but
they are taking a risk. However, there's an even better reason not to do
it: The quality of the resulting duplicate. It will be as poor as any
other VHS to VHS dub. Since the college has a multi-standard player, the
best solution is to buy the PAL tape and use it in PAL standard. The
users will benefit and there will be no resulting copyright concerns.

Kristine Brancolini
Indiana University Libraries