Re: DVD Cometh

Rick Provine (rep3s@virginia.edu)
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 14:14:36 -0800 (PST)

Who said anything about giving up anything? If you have collections in
stable formats, keep them for sure! My point is that if you want to
collect feature film on video, DVD is the only way to do it very well.

And I promise you that video streaming, though promising, will be treated
like closed circuit or distance ed (or worse) and cause untold copyright
issues before it replaces "bought and paid for" objects.

At 11:59 AM 11/2/99 -0800, Rick Faaberg wrote:
>> I haven't had a request yet for DVD. Unless or until
>> educational titles are released in DVD format, I really can't
>> make a case for owning DVD equipment or titles. Am I the only
>> one who feels this way?
>
>Nope. You're not alone!
>
>With video streaming over networks looming large, why would we go to yet
>another "physical" format that will be obsolete as soon as streaming becomes
>viable?
>
>I certainly am NOT going to dump the 16,000 video and 16mm prints we have...
>
>Rick
>Northwest Regional ESD
>Oregon

Rick E. Provine
Director for Media||Robertson Media Center
Clemons Library||University of Virginia
VOICE 804.924.8814||FAX 804.924.7468
provine@virginia.edu
www.lib.virginia.edu/clemons/RMC