Re: DVD Cometh

Tue, 2 Nov 1999 12:39:24 -0800 (PST)

Video streaming ain't looming AT ALL until:

a) The Big Telecom Cartel says it is
b) The Big Entertainment Cartel says it is
c) There's enough money to outfit classrooms with the infrastructure to do
something with it all
d) There's a social or political or economic or technological revolution
that makes digital content affordable for the havenot as well as the
well-equipped haves.

Even if video over the web does become a reality, the problem of what gets
streamed and what gets forgotten isn't gonna go away!

Gary Handman

At 12:00 PM 11/02/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>> I haven't had a request yet for DVD. Unless or until
>> educational titles are released in DVD format, I really can't
>> make a case for owning DVD equipment or titles. Am I the only
>> one who feels this way?
>
>Nope. You're not alone!
>
>With video streaming over networks looming large, why would we go to yet
>another "physical" format that will be obsolete as soon as streaming becomes
>viable?
>
>I certainly am NOT going to dump the 16,000 video and 16mm prints we have...
>
>Rick
>Northwest Regional ESD
>Oregon

UC Berkeley 94720-6000