RE: Sunrise (1927)

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 08:56:15 -0700 (PDT)

At 07:16 AM 10/27/99 -0700, you wrote:

>We have a number of Tamarelle vhs tapes which are about 15 years old.
>They are lousy in quality, and we are replacing them gradually.
>It grieves me to think of showing a low-quality dub of a great film and
>calling it cinema. VHS is bad enough even at its best.

Well, I don't know. It grieves me more to show a bad dark incomplete 16mm
dupe of a film available in its complete and restored form on video. I'll
project Kino's new restored Strike on VHS anyday over the old dupey 16mm
prints that are around. You would be surprised how much better Strike looks
projected in VHS than in 16mm. You can actually see things in the image
that were impossible to distinguish in the 16mm dupes. I agree that there
is no comparison between a pristine 35mm print and VHS projection with line
doubling etc. but we should consider the best possible sources for our
screenings and sometimes they just happen to be in some video format rather
than in film.

Oksana
Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-3441
Concordia University
H-342, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec
Canada H3G 1M8