Re: A/V within academic institution organization

Gail B. Fedak (gfedak@mtsu.edu)
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 15:35:35 -0700 (PDT)

------=_NextPart_000_0081_01BF1F11.91EB8660

1. What services does your audiovisual unit provide?
Our av unit is divided into the av library, Instructional Media =
Resources (IMR), and the equipment/television production unit, Audio =
Visual Services (AVS). IMR coordinates media previews for faculty and =
purchases / processes / circulates materials purchased. Our materials =
are available to students to use in-house (they may check out audio =
cassettes and CDs) and to faculty to check out to take to class. We =
provide a closed-circuit cable system to campus classrooms, our carrels, =
and designated library carrels with 20+ channels available. In addition, =
we provide 36 computers (14 with Internet access) in an "open" lab =
during all our operating hours. We share services and space with the =
College of Education's Instructional Technology Support Center (ITSC) =
technology classrooms/labs. These classrooms function as "open" labs =
only when no class in scheduled into them and when a student lab =
assistant is present. On-line subscriptions and databases are provided =
by the campus Library, with which we have no formal affiliation.

2. How are needs for instructional media equipment met?=20
In several ways. Individual academic departments are somewhat =
responsible for equipping their classrooms with non-computer av =
equipment. Most classroom computer equipment is purchased through a =
technology fee pool of funds, based on specific requests/justifications =
each year. The university at-large is converting a few regular =
classrooms to "master classrooms" each year - classrooms with =
traditional av equipment, computers, and computer projection equipment. =
AVS provides av equipment for delivery to classrooms upon request for =
short-term use (generally 5 days or less). They are responsible for =
purchasing their equipment, maintaining ours, and maintaining the =
equipment in classrooms all over campus, as well as the cable system =
itself. They do charge for parts, but not for labor.

3. Where does the A/V unit fit within the organizational structure of =
your institution?=20
Currently we (IMR and AVS) are two of three units comprising ITSC. ITSC =
is a department in the College of Education, on the same administrative =
level as College of Ed academic departments. The ITSC Director reports =
to the Dean of the College, who reports to the VP/Provost for Academic =
Affairs. IMR's and AVS's positions within the organizational structure =
on campus have changed several times over the past 25 years. IMR relies =
on both ITSC and AVS for equipment and technology expertise and =
maintenance.

4. What level of staffing does the unit have?=20
IMR has a Coordinator who is responsible for administering the unit's =
budget, making purchasing decisions, and overseeing the various =
day-to-day operations. The unit has one secretary, three full-time media =
library assistants, three graduate assistants, and 6-10 students =
workers. AVS has a Chief Engineer who administers their budget, makes =
purchasing decisions, maintains the campus cable system, repairs our =
equipment and av equipment across campus, and oversees one of the campus =
television/recording studios. AVS also has the following full time =
personnel: two supervisors, two technicians, one secretary. The =
Television side shares a full-time secretary with ITSC. AVS also has 4-6 =
part-time student employees. AVS is not responsible for =
delivering/picking up equipment; the campus shipping and receiving =
department does that.=20

5. Who provides the leadership and planning for the unit? What =
previous experience did this person bring to the position?
The Coordinator provides leadership and planning for IMR. However, the =
unit's needs must coordinate with the other two components of the =
department. The ITSC Director presents all three units' budget requests =
to the VPAA/Provost as a 3-in-1 package. I am the IMR Coordinator, and =
hold an M.Ed.. Before accepting the position, I was the unit's =
Supervisor (i.e. all aforementioned responsibilities except previewing, =
purchasing, and budget administration). I learned cataloging, =
circulation, equipment, media formats and companies, personnel skills, =
etc. through on-the-job training for 20+ years, including one year as =
interim Director (our unit used to have a director when we reported to =
the Associate VPAA). AVS Chief Engineer has an engineering license (do =
not know the specifics) and 20+ years of experience. The ITSC Director =
comes from the Department of Psychology with expertise in computer =
technology, planning, and supervision.

If you have questions or need clarification, please contact me.
Gail B. Fedak
Instructional Media Resources
Middle Tennessee State University
Murfreesboro, TN 37132