RE: Videos on the Effects of Technology

Steve Guy (contact@newsreel.org)
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 15:05:31 -0700 (PDT)

I'm personally a big fan of Canadian director Adam Egoyan who's work often
deals with issues of technology particularly in relationship to family
dynamics, privacy and sexuality.

for example
SPEAKING PARTS
FAMILY VIEWING
THE ADJUSTER

on the pop side of things the internet is viewed as a place for paranoia,
chaos and stalking in COPY CAT (with Sigourney Weaver) and THE NET (with
Sandra Bullok). On the other hand, YOU HAVE MAIL, AOL's remake of the 1940
Ernst Lubitsch THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER (1940), suggests that while
technology may evolve the fundamental formula of the schmaltzy Hollywood
romance is eternal.

At 02:51 PM 10/11/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>A prof in cognitive science is going to use "Quest for Fire" in her course
>on Technology and Culture. She wants other suggestions. I gave her the
>_Connections_ series with James Burke if she wants a documentary series,
>but I'm drawing a blank on other titles. Here's her actual request. Any
>ideas? Thanks... -- Kris
>
>"...if you should think of any other films which might help demonstrate
>the effects of technology (or discoveries/inventions) on people's lives
>and thought, I'd be happy to hear about them."
>
>Kristine R. Brancolini, Media and Film Studies
>Main Library W101A, 1320 E. Tenth Street
>Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
>Phone: 812.855.6281 | Fax: 812.855.1649 | Email: brancoli@indiana.edu

***WIN FREE VIDEOS BY ENTERING OUR MONTHLY WEB PAGE CONTESTS!
***THE COMPLETE FACETS CATALOG IS NOW ON-LINE! SEARCH THE ENTIRE FACETS
CATALOG ON OUR WEB SITE FOR TITLES, DIRECTORS, GENRES, AND MORE!
FACETS MULTI-MEDIA, INC. OPERATING HOURS:
1517 W. FULLERTON AVE. SALES..:9am-8pm MON-FRI
CHICAGO, IL 60614 10am-6pm SAT
SALES...1-800-331-6197 closed SUN
RENTALS.1-800-532-2387 RENTALS:10am-10pm MON-SAT
GENERAL.773-281-9075 12pm-10pm SUN
FAX.....773-929-5437

VISIT OUR WEBSITE! - http://www.facets.org

EMAIL: