RE: copying stuff

Nell Chenault (nchenaul@saturn.vcu.edu)
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 14:22:12 -0700 (PDT)

You can purchase the album on CD or cassette, so changing format due to
out-of-print status won't work. Perhaps the library should buy the
cassette copy. Prices for the CD range from $9.50 - $12.60.

Verve Catalog Number: 822 507 Distributor: Polygram

How much of the album is she using? How much of a song? As short section
may fall under fair use guidelines.
It was originally produced in 1972, so it is covered by copyright. There
have been numerous releases of the collection on record, cassette, CD, and
the scores.

At 11:40 AM 10/12/99 -0700, you wrote:
>dear people who know things:
>
>i go round and round on this sometimes, and i just had an instructor come to
>the desk asking us to copy her album, "Vieilles Chansons de France" Nana
>Mouskouri, onto cassette for her.
>
>she started out saying, "i don't have anything to play this on anymore" and
>i said, "we could get a record player out to your classroom" she said, "no,
>i want it on cassette" and i tried telling her [we've had this discussion
>before] about copyright, and she said, "but it's for instructional purposes"
>yada yada yada
>
>and so i need new material. i need something else i can tell her. she
>probably won't buy that either, but
>
>could you help me defend myself a bit better?
>
>thank you ahead of time.
>
>gerie ventura
>highline community college
>des moines, washington
>library, media services

Nell J. Chenault nchenaul@saturn.vcu.edu
Cabell Media Resource Services
University Library Services
Virginia Commonwealth University
Richmond, VA 23284-2033 (804) 828-1088 FAX: 828-7473