Re: Videos on the Effects of Technology

Mon, 11 Oct 1999 15:32:33 -0700 (PDT)

Kris..

A few years back, I thought a course entitled "Screening the Machine:
Technology, Anxiety & The Movies" which tried to trace cultural views of
technology and the impact of technology on culture by using movies as
social texts. The web site is still up at
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/Film24.html

I'd definitely consider "The Machine That Changed the World" in the area of
computers. Films for the Humanities has a series entitled "Dawn of the
Eye"a which talks about the rise and impact of mass media (including film)

Robert Hughes' "Shock of the New" deals with art mostly, but has a few
installments on how early century technologies influenced modernism in the
arts.

The Day the Universe Changed (another James Burke epic) is pretty good.

Jacob Bronowski's Ascent of Man addresses evolution and tool use and other
tech stuff (Ambrose Video)

good luck!

Gary handman

At 02:52 PM 10/11/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>A prof in cognitive science is going to use "Quest for Fire" in her course
>on Technology and Culture. She wants other suggestions. I gave her the
>_Connections_ series with James Burke if she wants a documentary series,
>but I'm drawing a blank on other titles. Here's her actual request. Any
>ideas? Thanks... -- Kris
>
>"...if you should think of any other films which might help demonstrate
>the effects of technology (or discoveries/inventions) on people's lives
>and thought, I'd be happy to hear about them."
>
>Kristine R. Brancolini, Media and Film Studies
>Main Library W101A, 1320 E. Tenth Street
>Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
>Phone: 812.855.6281 | Fax: 812.855.1649 | Email: brancoli@indiana.edu

UC Berkeley 94720-6000