Re: Aiyyyyyyeee: style sheet

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 09:58:48 -0700 (PDT)

At 08:55 AM 10/7/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I sent you all the wrong URL for the film and video style sheet:
>
>The correct is http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/mla.html
>
>sorry!
>Gary Handman

Hi Gary,

A couple of nit-picky comments from a researcher's point of view:

Citizen Kane. Dir. Orson Welles. Perfs. Orson Welles, Joseph Cotton. Film.
RKO Radio Pictures, 1941.

When we cite printed materials we refer to editions. In the film world
there are re-releases, sometimes the copyright date changes, sometimes it
doesn't depending on whether the re-release occurs during the copyrighted
period by the copyright holder. With Kane there were brand new prints
struck for the 50th anniversary. It was a kind of re-release of the film.
Should that be indicated? Sometimes re-releases were used to add the film
as the 2nd film on a double bill and edited down, so the film cited may not
actually have the same running time as the original release of the film.

Similarly, some films survive in different versions: take Metropolis for
example: Is the citation to the Munchen Archive version (most complete), or
the Georgio Mororoder version (contemporary rock music on soundtrack) or
some other shortened version, with or without added soundtracks. If you
simply cite UFA as the studio, the citation could possibly refer to a print
during the original release of the film.

Then we get to the issue of citing the length of the film to perhaps
confirm the version viewed. If used, sound film can be indicated in minutes
but silent film needs to be indicated in feet or meters, or alternatively
in minutes but with the running speed shown, i.e. 92 minutes at 22 frames
per second.

Finally, in citing the performers, would the rule be to take the top two
billed people as they appear in the opening credits (or closing credits if
there are no opening credits)? Should the same rule apply to films on video?

That said, it really puts the onus on the viewer who may not know the
speed of the silent film or its length in feet, without doing alot of
research. But, if it is the Munchen print or the Moroder print the
information is there in the credits.

Bout de Souffle (Breathless). Dir Jean-Luc Godard.
Perfs. Jean-Paul Belmondo, Jean Seberg, Liliane David. Videocassette. Prod
Georges de Beauregard-S.N.C., 1960; Dist. Connoisseur Video Collection, 1989.

Sorry to mention it but the actual title is bout de souffle. You`re
missing the .

With video formats do we specify which one (betamax, VHS, DVD)?

Here's an interesting issue about the whole mess of information on the DVD
itself. If a researcher is making a specific reference to a particular
section of the DVD, using the scene index on the packaging of the DVD or
the menu of the DVD itself, we have a situation of printed media (or
format-related additional information) that is associated with the moving
image material only in a particular edition of a particular format of the
film. I've got the Matrix DVD in front of me. The scene index lists 38
separate scenes and each has a title, like Rooftop Rescue and Gotcha. A
researcher could want to make a reference to the Gotcha scene in The
Matrix, but the Gotcha scene is not a designation (chapter title) on the
film itself, but only on this particular edition of the DVD format.

I'll stop here before I drive myself and everyone else nuts.

Oksana
Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-3441
Concordia University
H-342, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec
Canada H3G 1M8