Re: Collection development policies

Wed, 6 Oct 1999 10:03:21 -0700 (PDT)

Mine is on the web at:
<http://www.indiana.edu/~libreser/media/media-col-dev-policy.html>
It was revised in April 1998, so it's pretty accurate. We have since
begun buying DVD, so that isn't included in the policy.

In 1993 Rick Provine and I compiled many collection development policies
from ARL libraries. They are included in our SPEC Kit, which is probably
in your library collection:

Video and Multimedia Collections in ARL Libraries. SPEC Kit 199, December
1993. Washington, D.C.: Office of Management Studies, Association of
Research Libraries. Documents compiled and SPEC flyer by Kristine
Brancolini and Rick E. Provine.

The publication is getting old, but the policies are still good examples.

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Joan Goodwin wrote:

> Hello, 'libbers,
>
> I'm going to take Rhonda Rosen's advice and ask the experts.
> Here at S.D.S.U. we are in the process of formulating a collection
> development policy for our Media center. We feel that it would be
> very helpful if we could view other library's development policies for
> their media collections. Would anyone out there be willing to fax,
> e-mail or snail-mail me their policy? Thanks in advance, and wish
> us luck......

Kristine R. Brancolini, Digital Library Program
Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: 812.855.6281 | Fax: 812.855.1649 | Email: brancoli@indiana.edu