Re: "Beats"?McCarthy?

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 06:46:39 -0700 (PDT)

At 01:40 PM 8/4/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Videolibbers: I am working on a project for which we need some good
>material on the 50s. Specifically, can anyone suggest a good title on the
>"beat generation," or writers/artists, etc. of that era? Also, any
>suggestions for a good piece on McCarthyism (other than "Point of Order" and
>"Legacy of the Hollywood Blacklist)? All suggestions gratefully accepted!
>Sally Mason-Robinson

Sally,

I'm not clear about whether you need to interview people or simply get
background information. In terms of the Blacklist:

One place to begin might be contacting Frank Tarloff who's the project
chairman for the First Amendment/Blacklist Project. He was part of a panel
on the Blacklist at Cinecon two years ago. Other panel members were
scriptwriters Jean Butler and Bobby Lees, and actor John Randolph.

There was also a 1987 KCET (PBS) documentary called The Legacy of the
Hollywood Blacklist produced by Judy Chaiken (and Ellen Geiger for KCET).
It's "a passionate and compassionate non-political telling of the long term
effects of the hearings" on a number of people blacklisted and their
families and friends (Dalton Trumbo, Sam Orvitz etc.)

Oksana
Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-3441
Concordia University
H-342, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec
Canada H3G 1M8