Re: request for titles on AV librarianship

Karen Driessen (karend@selway.umt.edu)
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 16:12:25 -0700 (PDT)

As a modest author, I would suggest you look at A Library Manager's Guide
to the Physical Processing of Nonprint Materials by Karen Driessen and
Sheila Smyth. Greenwood Press, 1995. While much of the book concentrates
on actual physical processing issues of the various AV formats, there are
two chapters that address management issues to be considered with AV
collections. Topics include the users, the library's philosophy, the
budget, the facilities, the physical environment , the equipment, staffing
levels, available time, and the type of collection., Other topics relate
to policies relating to circulation, storage, preservation, and security.

At 02:05 PM 08/03/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>There seems to be a dearth of recent literature (esp. books) about AV
>librarianship. I've come across periodicals and info on the web, but
>most of the books I've found are from the 70's and 80's. Can anyone
>suggest good, recent (1990+) books for someone just getting started in
>the field? Materials which explore the basic issues -- collection
>development, equipment/software maintenance, copyright and censorship
>issues, public vs. academic AV settings, etc? There must be something
>out there.
>
>Thanks,
> Mike

Karen C. Driessen, Director Phone: 406-243-2856
Instructional Media Services FAX: 406-243-4067
Mansfield Library E-mail:
karend@selway.umt.edu
The University of Montana
Missoula MT 59812